16th century; German
Wood, gilt brass; 175 mm in diameter
This is probably a stand for a tripod, and may have belonged to a group of mining instruments. It is made up of a wooden plane containing moveable parts, and finished in gilt brass. The decorations are similar to those which characterise other accessories and instruments, all of which were constructed in the German lands.
The device was brought from Germany by Prince Mattias de' Medici in 1635.
Istituto e Museo di Storia della Scienza, Firenze
Inventory no. 2538
© Istituto e Museo di Storia della Scienza, Firenze. All rights reserved. Information and images provided here may not be reproduced in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the museum.
Basic URL: http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/epact/catalogue.php?ENumber=63427