16th century; German
Wood and gilt brass; 420 mm in length
The three sections of leg are each made up of two mobile parts which slide over each other, kept together by gilded brass rings and finely engraved.
The manner in which the instrument is built and the type of decoration suggest that these accessories originated in the German area, and are probably the work of the same artisans who built mining instruments for princely collections. Like the other German pieces present in the Medicean collections, these were brought to Florence by Prince Mattias de' Medici in 1635.
Istituto e Museo di Storia della Scienza, Firenze
Inventory no. 2538
© Istituto e Museo di Storia della Scienza, Firenze. All rights reserved. Information and images provided here may not be reproduced in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the museum.
Basic URL: http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/epact/catalogue.php?ENumber=24563