History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Record Details

Gaede Air Pump associated with H.G.J. Moseley, by E. Leybold's Nachfolger, Köln (Cologne), c. 1907

preview image for Gaede Air Pump associated with H.G.J. Moseley, by E. Leybold's Nachfolger, Köln (Cologne), c. 1907
Inventory Number: 93669
Object Type: Object
Persons: Henry Gwyn Jeffreys Moseley (User)
(Maker)
Date Created: c.1907
Place Created: Cologne Germany Europe
Accession Number: 1935-8
Brief Description: This piece of apparatus was associated with Henry Moseley who obtained it from the Balliol-Trinity laboratory shortly after he came back to Oxford in November 1913. It was used for his experiments to study chemical samples using X-ray spectroscopy and hence determine their atomic number. These experiments had been begun by Moseley in Manchester in 1913 and were continued when Moseley came to Oxford in November 1913 until he left to attend the British Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS) conference in Australia in the summer of 1914. The results were published in the ‘Philosophical Magazine’ in 1913 and 1914.

The Gaede Diffusion Pump was invented by Wolfgang Gaede (1878-1945), German physicist and pioneer of vacuum technology. Frustrated with existing mostly glass and slow-to-use vacuum pumps, Gaede set about designing a better, faster pump. Abandoning glass, he came up with a design based on a metal cylinder enclosing a rotating porcelain drum which was specially constructed for him by the Royal Porcelain works in Berlin. The assembly was sealed with 26kg of mercury; the pump worked first time and gave astonishingly good results.

Gaede presented his vacuum pump at a conference in Meran (now in Italy) and was immediately received 60 orders. In 1907, overwhelmed by demand, he teamed up with the firm of E. Leybold's Nachfolger who manufactured and sold his Gaede air pump in their hundreds. This air pump made in 1907 is an early version of the Gaede air pump made by E. Leybold's Nachfolger.

See http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2009/May/GaedesDiffusionPump.asp for further details of the Gaede air pump.

Used by Moseley to create a vacuum for his X-ray spectroscopy experiments conducted in Oxford between November 1913 and the summer of 1914. Foot mounted in triangular base plate for levelling.

See attached narrative 'Henry 'Harry' Moseley and his experiments' for further details.
Primary Inscriptions: "E. Leybolds' Nachfolger Cöln / DRP aug. [?]" on back of cylinder (cf the inscription on inv. 97103); serial number plate "515" on face.
Collection Group:
Material(s): Metal
Glass
Porcelain
Mercury
Dimensions:
Height Width Depth Diameter Unit
430 315 455 mm

Narratives

Image with multimedia irn 49616Image with multimedia irn 49614Image with multimedia irn 49615Image with multimedia irn 49617

Permalink: http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/object/inv/93669