History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Record Details

Gaede Air Pump associated with H.G.J. Moseley, by E. Leybold's Nachfolger, Köln (Cologne), 1910

preview image for Gaede Air Pump associated with H.G.J. Moseley, by E. Leybold's Nachfolger, Köln (Cologne), 1910
Inventory Number: 97103
Object Type: Object
Persons: Henry Gwyn Jeffreys Moseley (User)
(Maker)
Date Created: 1910
Place Created: Cologne Germany Europe
Accession Number: 1935-8
Brief Description: This piece of apparatus was associated with Henry Moseley who obtained it from the Balliol-Trinity laboratory shortly after he came back to Oxford in November 1913. It was used for his experiments to study chemical samples using X-ray spectroscopy and hence determine their atomic number. These experiments had been begun by Moseley in Manchester in 1913 and were continued when Moseley came to Oxford in November 1913 until he left to attend the British Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS) conference in Australia in the summer of 1914. The results were published in the ‘Philosophical Magazine’ in 1913 and 1914.

The Gaede Diffusion Pump was invented by Wolfgang Gaede (1878-1945), German physicist and pioneer of vacuum technology. Frustrated with existing mostly glass and slow to use vacuum pumps, Gaede set about designing a better, faster pump. Abandoning glass, he came up with a design based on a metal cylinder enclosing a rotating porcelain drum which he had specially constructed by the Royal Porcelain works in Berlin. The assembly was sealed with 26kg of mercury; the pump worked first time and gave astonishingly good results.

Gaede presented his vacuum pump at a conference in Meran (now in Italy) and was immediately received 60 orders. In 1907, overwhelmed by demand, he teamed up with the firm of E. Leybold's Nachfolger who manufactured and sold his Gaede air pump in their hundreds.

See http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2009/May/GaedesDiffusionPump.asp for further details of the Gaede air pump.

Used by Moseley to create a vacuum for his X-ray spectroscopy experiments conducted in Oxford between November 1913 and the summer of 1914. Foot mounted in triangular base plate for levelling.

See attached narrative 'Henry 'Harry' Moseley and his experiments' for further details.
Primary Inscriptions: "E. Leybold's Nachfolger Cöln / DRP aug. [?]" on back of cylinder; serial number plate "2670" on face. Note that the position of the apostrophe in "Leybolds" differs from the inscription on inv. 93669.
Collection Group:
Material(s): Metal
Glass
Porcelain
Mercury
Dimensions:
Height Width Depth Diameter Unit
390 260 400 mm

Narratives

Image with multimedia irn 49613Image with multimedia irn 49611Image with multimedia irn 49612

Permalink: http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/object/inv/97103