Inventory no. 25257 - Former Display Label
English QUADRANT (Collins or Sutton type)
Oak, on to which are pasted paper scales printed from engraved copper-plates. Signed, on the front, "Henricus Sutton Londini fecit. 1658"; on the back, "This Instrument or any of the Mathematiques are made in Brass or Wood by Henry Sutton Instrument-maker behind the Royall Exchange". One of the sights is missing.
On the front are a Collins, or Sutton, quadrant, and various trigonometric scales.
On the back are a latitude quadrant, a table of the declinations of certain fixed stars, and various trigonometric scales.
[Orrery Collection no. 37]
Lent by Christ Church.
- Two horary quadrants by Henry Sutton
- Orrery Collection in print
- Former Display Label - The Orrery Collection of Scientific Instruments
- Former Display Label - The Principal Makers of Instruments in the Orrery Collection
- Orrery Collection: 1731 Inventory
- Accession Record : Extract from Annual Report for 1925