History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Narratives

Inventory no. 44612 - Former Display Label

MACHINE FOR MICROSCOPIC WRITING
1854

This machine was constructed for William Peters, a London banker, in 1854, and it was presented by him, in 1862, to the Microscopical Society of London.

By means of a lever-reduction linkage, normal handwriting on the table top is transferred to a diamond stylus that inscribes a glass coverslip for a microscope slide. The fine writing so produced on the glass can only be viewed using a microscope.

An Ibbetson geometrical chuck can be applied to the machine, so that elaborate curvilinear patterns may be inscribed.

Royal Microscopical Society Collection

Other narratives:

Related Objects: