History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Narratives

Inventory no. 35404 - Former Display Label

English COMPOUND MICROSCOPE
1841

Signed 'Hugh Powell, London'. Height to top of limb 405 mm.

This was the second microscope ordered by the Microscopical Society of London, and was delivered on 22 December 1841. It cost £94 10s. The stand was converted to binocular in 1863.

The more massive design, of which this is an early example, became characteristic of the English Victorian microscope; see the display of microscope; see the display of microscopes by Powell & Lealand and their contemporaries.

[RMS 2]
Royal Microscopical Society

Related Objects: