History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Narratives

Inventory no. 52163 - Former Display Label

DEGREE PLATE
1838

The degree plate was fixed beneath the pendulum of the clock made in 1838 by B. J. Vulliamy. The 2-seconds pendulum when stationary, pointed to the zero on the scale. When the pendulum was set in motion, the extent of its swing to left and right could be read on the scale and so monitor changes in the going of the movement, because such changes affect the amplitude of the pendulum. The 'beat' could be made symmetrical about the zero by making adjustments to the clock. The heavy lines at 2 1/2 [degrees] indicate the optimum arc for which Vulliamy designed the escapement.
The Christ Church clock was converted to electrical drive in 1917 by J. Smith & Son of Derby, and this degree plate is one of the few surviving fragments of the parts of the clock which were removed.
Turret clocks (unlike regulator clocks) were not normally equipped with degree plates. Vulliamy was probably one of the first makers to install degree plates in turret clocks.

[76-30]
Given by the Governing Body of Christ Church, Oxford

Other narratives:

Related Objects: