RCA Radiotron Radio Tube Type VR54, by RCA, USA, 20th Century
Inventory Number: 15408
Number of documents: 1
Document Type: Miscellaneous Note
Document Heading: Manufacturer Details
In October 1919, the General Electric (GE) Company (US) founded the Radio Corporation of American (RCA). This was in response to the realisation by the US military and the US government that it would be advisory for American radio companies not to be controlled by foreign companies. This was in direct response to the returning of radio stations to the American Marconi Company - controlled by the British Marconi Company - at the end of the First World War. In November 1919, the American Marconi Company merged with RCA. RCA was founded as a separate company from GE with the aim of providing ship-to-shore and transoceanic communication. Up until the foundation of RCA Radiotron in 1930, the company had no separate manufacturing facilities and, instead, acted as a distribution agent for assorted GE and Westinghouse apparatus, including radio valves. It must, however, be noted that the aforementioned radio valves were sometimes marked as a 'radiotron' model from about 1921 onwards. Between 1930 and 1932, RCA Radiotron was reorganised as an independent company that manufactured as well as marketed electronic technologies. RCA continued to build upon this success and eventually became a conglomerate with a diverse range of technological interests. In 1986, the RCA Corporation (as it was then known) was bought back by GE.