Fluorescent Screen X-Ray Accessory, by Harvey & Peak, London, 1898
|Inventory Number:|| 78574|
|Object Type:|| |
|Place Created:|| London England United Kingdom Europe
|Brief Description:||Part of apparatus purchased by E. G. Spencer-Churchill, an undergraduate at Magdalen College, Oxford, in 1898, and used by him for taking X-ray images of the limbs of his friends for amusement purposes. |
On the outbreak of the Boer War, the owner became a Lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards, and the apparatus was taken to South Africa, where it was used to assist the Royal Army Medical Corps to locate bullets, shrapnel, splinters or fractures caused by enemy action. It was in use there between 1900 and 1902.
For other parts of the apparatus, see Inv 69823 and Inv 82113.
|Provenance:||Presented by Captain E. G. Spencer Churchill in 1939.|