History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Record Details

Horton Intercoupler

Inventory Number: 10520
Object Type:
Accession Number: 1998-7
Brief Description: Rectangular card box covered with paper. Small metal canister with a chain handle on top and four wires protruding from the bottom. Label on canister reading: "The Ohio Chemical & MFG.CO.". Two wires have clamps at the end (one to touch the floor, the other to touch the anaesthesia machine), two wires have women metal bracelets on the ends (one to be worn by the patient, the other to be worn by the anaesthetist). Wires are coiled; three are tied with string, one is bound with an elastic band. To minimize risk of gas explosion due to static electricity.

Invented in 1939 by Professor J.W. Horton at Dept. of Biological Engineering, MIT.
Provenance: From the Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, John Radcliffe Hospital.
Collection Group:
Material(s): Paper
Card
Metal
Plastic
String
Rubber(?)
Dimensions:
Height Width Depth Diameter Unit
57 150 107 mm

Narratives

Permalink: http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/object/inv/10520