History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Record Details

Horton Intercoupler

preview image for Horton Intercoupler
Inventory Number: 10518
Object Type:
Accession Number: 1998-7
Brief Description: Small metal canister with a chain handle on top and four wires protruding from the bottom. Label on canister reading: "The Ohio Chemical & MFG.CO.". Two wires have clamps at the end (one to touch the floor, the other to touch the anaesthesia machine), two wires have woven metal bracelets on the ends (one to be worn by the patient, the other to be worn by the anaesthetist). Wires are coiled, bound with string. To minimize risk of gas explosion due to static electricity. With leaflet.

Invented in 1939 by Professor J.W. Horton at Dept. of Biological Engineering, MIT.
Provenance: From the Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, John Radcliffe Hospital.
Collection Group:
Material(s): Paper
Metal
Plastic
String
Dimensions:
Height Width Depth Diameter Unit
360 220 45 mm

Narratives

Image with multimedia irn 47586

Permalink: http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/object/inv/10518