Inventory no. 20020 - Internal Exhibition Label Text 'English Telescopes'
Gregorian reflecting telescope, English, c.1710
This is said to be the earliest surviving example of a Gregorian telescope, but there are several others of the same design. It is very close to the illustration of the Gregorian in Smith's Opticks of 1710 and was in the collection of Charles Boyle, fourth Earl of Orrery (1676-1731).
On loan from Christ Church.
Inventory no. 20020
- The oldest Gregorian telescope
- Inventory no. 20020 - Former Display Label
- Orrery Collection in print
- Former Display Label - The Orrery Collection of Scientific Instruments
- Former Display Label - The Principal Makers of Instruments in the Orrery Collection
- Orrery Collection: 1731 Inventory
- Accession Record : Extract from Annual Report for 1925