History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Narratives

Inventory no. 50994 - Former Display Label

English DRUM MICROSCOPES
c.1760

Signed: 'B:MARTIN LONDON'. Each instrument consists of a compound microscope body tube that slides in a cut away cylinder which accommodates a stage and a sub-stage mirror. The construction is of pasteboard covered with vellum and rayskin, turned wood lens mounts, and brass ferrules and objective mounts.

Bejamin Martin (1704-1782) opened a shop in Fleet Street, London, in 1757.

[C 243, smaller]
Clay Collection

Related Objects: