History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Narratives

The chemistry of the Old Ashmolean

The walls of the this room produce an efflorescence which was first observed in 1691 and still continues today. Several of the chemistry professors who taught here analysed and published on the nature of the substance. The bottle [1] is labelled "Nitre from the walls of the Museum". The phials [2, 3] were probably used to store chemicals and are both labelled: "Ashmol Mus".

Other narratives:

Related Objects: