Inventory no. 35777 - Former Display Label
German ASTRONOMICAL COMPENDIUM
Late 16th century
Gilt and silvered brass. Unsigned and undated; probably by the same maker as no. G. 403 (shown in this case), perhaps from a Habermel workshop.
1. A volvelle for converting equal hours to Italian hours; it is ornamented with an allegorical picture showing Peace disarming War.
2. A lunar volvelle and wind-rose.
3. A horizontal string-gnomon dial for latitudes 42°, 45°, 48°, 51°, and 54°; and a compass. The string-gnomon is held taut by a watch-spring in a barrel around which the 'string' is wound.
4. A circular table of the latitudes of 49 places.
5. A quadrant dial (plumb-line and bob missing) and a shadow-square, decorated with illustrations of instruments in use.
Lewis Evans Collection.