History of Science Museum: Collection Database Search

Narratives

Inventory no. 82113, 69823, 78574 - Former Display Label

WIMSHURST MACHINE, X-RAY TUBE & FLUORESCENT SCREEN
1898

This apparatus was purchased by E. G. Spencer-Churchill, an undergraduate at Magdalen College, Oxford, in 1898, and was used by him for taking X-ray images of the limbs of his friends for amusement purposes. On the outbreak of the Boer War, the owner became a Lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards, and the apparatus was taken to South Africa, where it was used to assist the Royal Army Medical Corps to locate bullets, shrapnel, splinters or fractures caused by enemy action. It was in use there between 1900 and 1902, and was for a time the only apparatus of its kind available in South Africa. The apparatus was the subject of correspondence in the Times, 10th November 1939.
The Wimshurst induction machine, which provided the electricity required to work the X-ray tube, is signed "HARVEY & PEAK LONDON". It has a mahogany frame and pulley-wheels; two heavily varnished glass plates; tin-foil sectors with protective copper buttons; adjustable neutralizing rods; sliding discharging rods with jaw-shaped collectors, on simple glass supports; two small Leyden jars on frame at back in contact with collectors.
The Jackson-type X-ray tube has a paper label which reads "Sole Makers - NEWTON & Co., 3 Fleet Street." Equipped with wooden stand.
The fluorescent screen is unsigned, and has a wooden frame.

[39-15]
Presented by Captain E. G. Spencer-Churchill

Other narratives:

Related Objects: